Concessions Management Specialists will conduct an initial review of permit applications to determine whether the proposed action is allowable under NPS policy and consistent with the park planning documents.
Authorized CUAs will:
• Be consistent with the purpose and significance of Denali National Park and Preserve
• Adhere to federal, state, and local laws and regulations and all National Park Service policies
• Maintain public health, safety, and well-being through:
o Carrying appropriate insurance
o Meeting all federal, state, and local health and safety codes and regulations
o Providing relevant safety instructions to visitors
o Where applicable, be provided by certified individuals and businesses
• Avoid unacceptable impact to park resources and values and is consistent with management plans, given existing use in the area
• Provide enjoyment appropriate to the park while not unduly conflicting with park programs or activities, traditional or subsistence activities, or existing NPS commercial services
• Not exclude the general public from participating in limited recreational opportunities
The programmatic CE covers:
• Changes or amendments to approved actions or plans involving CUAs
• Renewal of CUAs not involving new environmental impact
• Issuance, extension, renewal, reissuance or minor modifications of CUAs not entailing new construction
• Other activities approved on a case-by-case basis and documented in CUA stipulations (fuel, storage, temporary shelters, transportation, navigation aids, etc)
Undertakings not meeting these criteria will be reviewed and approved on a case-by-case basis.
Any CUA that is allowed to operate in designated Wilderness or in eligible wilderness is subject to guidelines in the relevant Extent Necessary Determination and a completed Minimum Requirements Analysis (MRA).
CUAs are provided as one and two-year opportunities.
For additional information about commercial services in national parks in Alaska, please visit: https://www.nps.gov/orgs/1840/do-business-with-us.htm
Miriam Valentine, 907.733.9102