Trails Management Plan
Whiskeytown National Recreation Area is developing a Trail Management Plan / Environmental assessment. The purpose of the trail management plan / EA is to define a designated trail system within the park to guide trail management, investment in trail infrastructure, and visitor use. The plan is needed to improve and diversify recreation opportunities, improve connectivity between features of interest inside the park and with regional trail systems, evaluate and eliminate or restore social/illegal trails and unsustainable or underutilized routes, and protect park resources.
Whiskeytown National Recreation Area will be having a public scoping meeting and open house in regards for a Trail Management Plan on Thursday, May 25th, from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. in the Community Room at City Hall. The City Hall Community Room is located at 777 Cypress Avenue in Redding.
This planning process includes:
• Evaluating the existing trail system.
• Establishing visitor use management guidelines for the trail system.
• Establishing sustainable design standards for trails, as well as operational guidelines.
• Identifying and assessing visitor impacts to park resources on park trails and explore new uses.
• Improving and formalizing special events that use the trail system.
• Identifying corridors for new trails or rerouted trails to broaden the spectrum or recreation opportunities and better disperse visitors.
• Identifying the desired visitor experiences by trail and the types of amenities that would correspond to that use.
• Integrating bikes into the trails system and satisfy compliance requirement for authorizing the use of bikes in the park.
As part of the public scoping process, the NPS is asking for your input on the proposed action. The comment period is open until June 15th, 2017. To make a comment on the proposed action please select 'Open for Comment' in the left hand side of this webpage. you can also mail comments to the address below and attend the public meeting on May 25th.
For more information, please contact Superintendent Jim Milestone at (530) 242-3460. For more information about Whiskeytown, please call or stop by the Visitor Center from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. daily, or call (530) 246-1225. You can also visit the park on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/WhiskeytownNationalRecreationArea or the park website at: www.nps.gov/whis.
Whiskeytown National Recreation Area
c/o Trail Management Plan
P.O. Box 188
Whiskeytown, CA 96095