Backcountry Management Plan Newsletter Spring 2020
The National Park Service (NPS) is pleased to announce its intent to plan for the future of the Bakcountry areas of Glacier Bay National Park (park). The NPS is seeking public feedback to guide its update of a 1989 Glacier Bay National Park Wilderness Visitor Use Management Plan. Planning is in the early stages and the NPS is currently seeking public feedback to help articulate goals, objectives, and strategies for managing park backcountry areas over the next ten to 20 years.
Feb 21, 2020 - May 5, 2020
1. What is your vision for the Glacier Bay backcountry over the next ten to 20 years?
2. What backcountry experiences do you find most important? How are these unique from the rest of the park/and/or other parts of Southeast Alaska?
3. In backcountry areas that attract more intensive visitor use (now or anticipated), can you suggest strategies for
managing crowding or dispersing use where the benefits outweigh the restrictions?
4. What do you think about the NPS constructing new trails in a small portion of the backcountry (originating from
road-accessible trailheads in the Gustavus area)?
5. What else specific to the management of the Glacier Bay backcountry do you want the planning team to consider?
Links within the above document(s) were valid as of the date published.
Some of the files may be in PDF format and can be viewed using the Adobe Acrobat Reader software.
You may download a free copy of Acrobat Reader
from Adobe Systems.