Dear Visitors - Buffalo National River proposes to increase fees for some camping opportunities, and to add additional campsites to the reservation system at Recreation.gov (https://www.recreation.gov)
The proposal would allow visitors to reserve additional sites in advance (most of BUFF's campsites are first-come). Visitors who use the reservation system can use credit cards for payment; first-come visitors must pay by cash or check.
Campsite fees were last adjusted in 2013; the park desires to increase fees to more closely match other campsites in the area, to moderately raise revenues, and to assist in cash management. We believe the fee increases are reasonable and would not create undue hardship on our many visitors.
The park conducted a campground comparability study and based upon this study proposes to increase camping fees at the following locations:
- Sites with water and electric at Buffalo Point Campground: from $22.00 to $30.00 a night for up to 6 people
- All sites at Tyler Bend Campground and walk-in tent sites at Buffalo Point Campground: from $16.00 to $20.00 a night for up to 6 people
- Primitive sites (without electricity or showers) at Steel Creek, Kyle's Landing, Ozark, Carver, and Rush campgrounds: from $12.00 to $20.00 a night for up to 6 people (up to 4 stock animals at Steel Creek Horse Camp).
- The fee structure would be revised for group campsites at Buffalo Point and Tyler Bend: from $3.00 per person, per night to a flat rate of $50.00 per group per night (up to 25 people per site). This would represent an increase for some groups and a decrease for others, based on past use.
- Other campgrounds would continue to allow free camping where no amenities are provided: Erbie, Woolum, South Maumee and Spring Creek.
(The park also charges fees for reserving the pavilions at Tyler Bend and Buffalo Point; those fees would remain $25.00 at Ozark and $50.00 at Tyler Bend and Buffalo Point.)
Buffalo National River provides a 50% discount on campsite fees for Interagency Senior and Access pass cardholders. These cards may be obtained online at store.usgs.gov or at Park Headquarters in Harrison, Steel Creek Ranger Station, Tyler Bend Visitor Center, or Buffalo Point Ranger Station.
We welcome your feedback on these proposals. Please provide your comments by September 5, 2018 by clicking on the "Open for Comment" tab. You can also pick up a paper comment form from Park Headquarters in Harrison, Steel Creek Ranger Station, Tyler Bend Visitor Center, or Buffalo Point Ranger Station or you can email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can mail your comments to
Buffalo National River
402 N. Walnut, Suite 136
Harrison, AR 72601
Following this public review, the park will submit any proposed changes for approval, and begin charging these new fees for reservations in 2019.
Casey Johannsen, 870.449.4311