PEPC and Parkplanning will have an outage from 5 PM to 10 PM MT on July 19th due to network maintenance. Please plan and save your work accordingly.

Remove Roofing, Repair Sheathing, and Install Higher Wind Rated Roofing on Cottage

Fort Pulaski National Monument » Remove Roofing, Repair Sheathing, and Install Higher Wind Rated Roofing on Cottage » Document List

The undertaking will replace the current non-historic three-tab asphalt shingle roof on the Quarantine Station Attendants' Quarters Cottage, currently used as park headquarter at Fort Pulaski National Monument. The replacement roof will be made of steel, in order to increase storm resiliency of the structure. The existing roof was damaged in both Hurricanes Matthew and Irma. The original roof on the structure was made of asphalt/asbestos diamond shingles in a light gray color. To minimize the adverse effect of the new steel roof, the park plans to apply a brushed finish stainless steel in a diamond shingle pattern in the same size and with the same overlap as the original diamond shingle roof. Additionally, the park plans to mitigate the adverse effect by restoring two double-hung two-over-two windows in the building's dormers, which were replaced by louvers some years ago.

The Quarantine Attendants' Quarters is the last extant building associated with a Quarantine Station that operated on Cockspur Island from 1889 until 1937. The structure is thought to have been constructed before WWI by the Public Health Service. The building was remodeled by the United States Navy during World War II and retains much of the layout and interior finishes from this period. It was used as park superintendent's residence from 1948 until 1969, after which it was used as park chief ranger's residence. In 1998, it was adapted for use as the park's administrative headquarters.

Contact Information

Laura Waller
912-786-8182 extension 1101