Proposed Fee Changes At Isle Royale National Park
Hello friends of Isle Royale
Isle Royale has charged a $4 per person daily user fee since the park's participation in the fee program began in 1997. The fee has not increased during that time while the costs of managing the park and providing for visitor facilities and services has increased significantly since 1997. Fees at Isle Royale are used primarily for trail and dock maintenance projects.
We are proposing to change our fees and would like your thoughts and comments on our proposal before we make the final decision. The new fees would take effect starting in the 2017 season. Here is the proposal for your review:
• Change the $4 per person per day user fee to a $7 per person entrance fee good for 1 day.
• The cost of the Isle Royale annual park pass will increase from $50 to $60. The $60 annual park passes will include up to 3 people travelling with the pass holder as is consistent with other Federal recreational lands passes.
• All Federal recreational lands passes (annual pass, senior pass, access pass, military pass) will now be honored at Isle Royale. They are currently not honored because Isle Royale charged a user fee instead of an entrance fee.
• Discontinue the $150 annual boat rider pass which currently covers the operator and all the passengers in a private boat for the year. Since the $60 annual park pass will include up to 4 persons, the annual boater pass will no longer be needed.
• To be consistent with the NPS fee collection policy, children ages 15 and under will be exempt from paying fees. This will be a change, currently children under 12 are exempt.
Please review our proposal and let us know what you think. The comment period is open until September 30, 2016.
Liz Valencia 906-487-7153
Chris Amidon 906-482-0984