Removal of Non-contributing resource - Midriver Canoe Club Shed
The National Park Service, Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park, will remove a non-contributing feature located at Mile 14.30 of the park. This feature is a 1947 cement block storage building which is located adjacent to the towpath near Great Falls Tavern. The building is a nine foot by twenty foot, one story vernacular structure that was built and use by the Midriver Canoe Club for storage. The structure has been evaluated in both cultural landscape significance and its eligibility for listing in the National Register of Historic Places. It has been determined that the structure does not significantly contribute to the Great Falls cultural landscape.
The Midriver Canoe Club no longer has use of the structure and the park does not have a use for the building. The park proposes to remove the structure and allow the building site to return to its natural conditions.
The park's Interdisciplinary Team reviewed the project for impacts to natural and cultural resources. The project does not pose any serious or long-term effects to the environmental, historical, cultural, archeological, or visual resources. It meets categorical exclusion #E.4 – Removal of non-historic materials and structures in order to restore natural conditions when the removal has no potential for environmental impacts, including impacts to cultural landscapes or archeological resources.
In consultation with the Maryland Historical Trust (State Historic Preservation Officer), as required by Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act, the project was reviewed for impacts to cultural resources. No adverse impacts are anticipated as a result of this project and the project is consistent with the Secretary of Interior's Standards for Rehabilitation and the accompanying guidelines.
For further information about this project, please contact Chief of Resources, at 1850 Dual Highway, Suite 100, Hagerstown, MD 21740.