Valley Maintenance Building #527 Unsafe Door Replacement

Yosemite National Park » Valley Maintenance Building #527 Unsafe Door Replacement » Document List

This project proposes to replace five original doors in the Yosemite Valley Group Utility Building (Fort Yosemite, B73), built in 1935 which is a contributing structure to the Yosemite Village developed area listed in the Yosemite Valley District and placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2006. The doors are character defining elements to the building. Currently, seven of the personnel doors do not comply with 29CFR 1910.36(b) Headroom; 29CFR Sec. 5 (1) Fundamental Requirements; UBC 1003.3.1.3 width and height.
Under the supervision of the park Historical Architect, the original doors will be removed, cleaned, labeled, photo documented, and stored safely and securely on location. Photo documentation will occur before and after removal, and include storage facilities. All records will be deposited in the park archives. In addition, photographs meeting the standards of the Historic American Building Survey (HABS) will be taken prior to removal, including exterior elevations with the doors intact and detailed photographs of doors that are being removed. These will be submitted to HABS. The original doors will be strapped to an adjoining interior wall and encased with a framed and sheeted wall to minimize exposure. Signs will be affixed to the protective cover and the doors alerting their historical value to the building and instructing that they shall not to be moved or discarded. The utility shop door will be replaced with a wood framed wall containing a personnel door and a sectional garage door, designed to be compatible with the existing building design in consultation with the park Historical Architect. The replacements for the four remaining doors will be designed to match the existing doors as closely as possible including window sizing and placement and exterior wall and door treatments. Final design of these doors will be approved by the park Historical Architect and the RMS Division Chief.