Yosemite Valley and Wawona Day-Use Area Accessibility Improvements
1) Sentinel Beach Day-Use Area – This area is located in the valley proper off of Southside Drive just past the El Capitan cross-over. Improvements include extension of the concrete slab in front of the vault toilet as well as installation of decomposed granite to provide correct slope on the accessible route and picnic area. Also, installation of an accessibility parking sign, grills, and picnic tables will be provided.
2) Sentinel Dome Parking Area – This area is located on Glacier Point Road between Mono Meadow and Glacier Point. The accessibility parking space will be restriped and signed. A 4' concrete walkway will be installed from the parking area to the vault toilet. The concrete slab in front of the vault toilet will be repaired and extended to meet accessibility requirements.
3) Swinging Bridge Picnic Area – This area is located in the valley on Southside Drive between Four Mile Trail and the Chapel. An asphalt walkway will be installed from the existing asphalt walkway near the vault toilet to the picnic area. Two picnic areas will be resloped and resurfaced with 4" to 6" of decomposed granite to meet accessibility standards. Existing grills and tables will be replaced with new accessible grills and tables. One option is to install a concrete border around the accessible picnic areas to corral the decomposted granite and to provide a visual boundary. If the border is not installed than the decomposed granite-existing soil interface will be comprised of a 4" deep by at least 6" wide cut in the existing soil to contain the decomposed granite.
4) Pioneer History Center Picnic Area – This area is located in Wawona on Chilnualna Road. The accessibility parking space will be restriped. A 6.5' decomposed granite sidewalk will be installed to connect the parking area to the picnic area. Approximately 60' by 40' of picnic area will be resloped and resurfaced to meet accessibility standards. The new surface shall be decomposed granite. No cut grading shall be employed with this project.
5) Soldier Flat Picnic Area – This area is located on Highway 41 between Wawona Campground and Chilnualna Road. The area has a dirt pull-out, a vault toilet, and a few picnic tables. This project will regrade sections of the parking lot to provide and accessible parking space with access aisle and signage. The picnic area near the parking space will be raised 28" to meet accessibility slope requirements. Decomposed granite will be used for the surface. A 5' concrete walkway will be added from the vault toilet to the picnic area and the parking access aisle. Resources Management and Science has requested that several of the large granite boulders forming the perimeter of the pull-out shall be moved inward to protect and visually separate the pathway and picnic area from the parking area.
Notably, all picnic tables and other site amenities shall be made from real wood, not from composite materials. All contractor's equipment and materials shall be cleaned and inspected for non-native plants and noxious weeds prior to entering the park. All concrete shall be colored to match existing surroundings. All concrete within a single site shall be the same color.
This project will correct accessibility deficiencies at five day-use areas located in Yosemite Valley and Wawona. The locations and general scope are described below: