Install Gable End Vent, Gutters and Downspouts at Old Salem Church
Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania National Military Park » Install Gable End Vent, Gutters and Downspouts at Old Salem Church » Document List
Baptists constructed Old Salem Church in 1844. The structure housed civilian refugees during the Battle of Fredericksburg in December 1862 and witnessed combat during the Chancellorsville Campaign in May 1863. Both sides utilized the church as a field hospital. The church was given to the National Park Service in 1961.
Historic images from the early 20th century indicate that gutters and downspouts have been used on the church in the past. Other historic photos show a semi-circular gable vent in the structure's western façade. Following the completion of the 1968 Historic Structure Report, the gutters, downspouts, and gable vent were subsequently removed. The park proposes to reinstall 6" half-round gutters and 4" round downspouts. Downspouts will be located on the northwest and southwest corners of the building. A semi-circular wooden gable end vent will also be reinstalled in the church's western façade so that excess heat can escape from the building's attic.
Contact InformationHenry P. Elliott