Buzzard Point Park Environmental Assessment
The National Park Service (NPS) welcomes public review and comment on a proposal to transform Buzzard Point Park into an accessible community waterfront amenity that continues the Anacostia Riverwalk Trail (ART). The Park improvements would provide residents and visitors with more open space, recreational opportunities, and ways to connect with the Anacostia River while enhancing visitor experience of Buzzard Point Park.
The proposed project would involve the following:
- clearing of existing overgrown vegetation and remnant concrete or asphalt pads,
- removing the existing shoreline treatments, which would be replaced with an eight-foot high concrete seawall reinforced with steel piles,
- removing the former marina office building, restroom facility, and remnant concrete boating ramp,
- regrading and replanting the site,
- extending the ART through the Park,
- extending the Matthew Henson Center (MHC) to include restroom facilities that are accessible from the outside of the building,
- rebuilding the existing pier and boat dock and making those amenities accessible from the outside of the MHC, and
- providing scenic overlooks at the northernmost and southernmost ends of the Park to provide sweeping views of the Anacostia River.
The Environmental Assessment (EA) evaluates two project alternatives: a No-Action Alternative (Alternative A) and the Proposed Action (Alternative B). Within Alternative B are two sub-options that include:
Option 1 includes stone riprap along the length of the seawall in the Anacostia River. The stones reinforce and protect the seawall from erosion and storm surge while beautifying the shoreline and providing access to the river. On the landward side of the seawall, a walking trail follows along the edge of the wall in the central section of the park.
Option 2 includes a railing, for safety, placed along the edge of the seawall. No stone riprap would be placed, however a walking trail and plaza extends along the water's edge and out over the water. The overlooks provide sweeping views of the Anacostia River.
There are three ways to comment on the Buzzard Point Park Improvements EA during the public review period, which extends from Monday, July 22, 2019 through Monday, September 9, 2019.
1. In person at a public meeting on Monday, July 29, 2019 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the
Southeast Neighborhood Library (SOE Meeting Room)
403 7th St SE
Washington, DC 20003.
2. Online at this web site (see Open for Comment link at the left of this page).
3. By Mail; for letters postmarked by September 9, 2019 (see address below)
07/22/2019 - 09/09/2019