PEPC and Parkplanning may experience intermittent outages from 8 PM MT to 12 AM MT on June 18th due to network maintenance.

Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium Demolition

National Capital Regional Office » Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium Demolition » Document List

The Robert F. Kennedy Stadium is located on the 190-acre RFK Campus to the west of the Anacostia River, and to the east of the Barney Circle and Kingman Park neighborhoods and is adjacent to the west by the D.C. Armory. The Robert F. Kennedy Stadium has a long history that started in 1920, but didn't get any real momentum until the passage in 1958 of the District of Columbia Stadium Act (Pub. Law No 85-30, 71 Stat, 619 which provided the authorization to have the National Park Service (NPS) obtain the property for a stadium. This was followed the same year (1958) by the amendment (Pub. Law 85-561, 72 Stat. 421 which allowed the NPS to lease the land to the Armory Board instead of selling it,

In 1961, the Armony Board completed construction of stadium. The site became known as Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium in 1969, replacing the earlier name of `DC Stadium", following the assassination of Senator Kennedy. Records show that there was a private dedication for the renaming of the stadium, however, there is no evidence of any formal designation as National Memorial. The renaming of the stadium was overseen by the Secretary of the Interior Stewart Udall, who had a notable impact on the United States during his service during the terms of Presidents John F. Kennedy and Lyndon B. Johnson in the 1960's. The Kennedy family had connections to the site, both through the work of Robert F. Kennedy to for the integration of the Washington Redskins football team and from President John F. Kennedy who threw out the first pitch of the 1961 Major League Baseball season.

The stadium is surrounded by open space consisting primarily of asphalt surface parking lots and landscaped areas. The site is clearly delineated by the streets that form its perimeter. RFK Stadium opened to the public in 1961 and over the course of the next five decades played host to a number of teams and sporting events ranging most notably from the Washington Commanders to the Washington Senators and Washington Nationals to the D.C. United and World Cup matches among other special events. The RFK Stadium is potentially eligible for the National Register of Historic Places.

Pursuant to the District of Columbia Stadium Act, as amended (D.C. Code 3-321 to 330), the Stadium was transferred to the District and the District entered into a ground lease for the land on January 14, 1988, for a term of 50 years. For the District to demolish the stadium, the NPS will need to authorize the demolition of the stadium through a Letter of Authorization.

Contact Information

Tammy Stidham
202-619-7474