Rehabilitate Elk Creek Visitor Center to Address Visitor Safety/Accessibility and Operational Issues
The NPS proposes to rehabilitate the Elk Creek Visitor Center to address visitor safety and accessibility issues and operational needs. The proposed rehabilitation entails:
• Replacement of all building systems (HVAC, ductwork, domestic and sanitary plumbing infrastructure, replacement of plumbing fixtures, electrical infrastructure, telephone, low voltage and audio/visual).
• Addition of a fire suppression system.
• Providing an accessible approach/entry from the parking lot to the visitor center entrance in accordance with the Architectural Barriers Act Accessibility Standard (ABAAS), and two ABAAS accessible parking spaces in the parking lot adjacent to visitor center.
• Providing ABAAS accessible restrooms.
• Replacing all lighting, interior finishes (carpet, refinish wood elements), and interior doors.
• Improving acoustics between the ground and main floors.
• Replacing the ceiling at the ground floor due to systems replacement.
• Constructing a new interior stair, in the same location as the existing stair, and elevator, which would serve as the primary entrance to the visitor center.
Sandy Snell-Dobert, Chief of Interpretation, Education, and Technology