Rehabilitation of the Rock Creek Park Golf Course
The proposed action is the rehabilitation of the Rock Creek Park Golf Course (see project area map, uploaded to this project site) in a manner consistent with the treatment recommendations outlined in the 2019 Cultural Landscape Report for the Rock Creek Park Golf Course. The primary components of the proposal are:
Golf Course Landscape:
- - Establishment of a 9-hole regulation course that preserves golf course architect William Flynn's parkland-style course, includes corridors from both Flynn's more open front 9 and more wooded back 9, and incorporates many of Flynn's original greens
- - Construction of a 9-hole par-3 course that incorporates many of Flynn's original greens
- - Construction of a practice putting green and short game area
- - Removal of trees in specific areas to widen the fairways and accommodate the new golf course routing
- - Removal of invasive species
- - Addition of new cart paths
- - Establishment of meadow habitat on abandoned golf course holes
- - Establishment of a nature trail in the golf course
- - Addition of a retention pond to support golf course irrigation
- - Addition of lighting for nighttime use in limited and specific areas of the golf course and driving range
Course Entrance and Clubhouse:
- - Demolition of the existing clubhouse and the construction of a new clubhouse in the vicinity of the existing clubhouse
- - Construction of a new 50-bay driving range and cart storage building adjacent to the clubhouse
- - Modifications to the existing entrance experience, sidewalks, and parking lot
- - Construction of a picnic/events pavilion in the vicinity of the clubhouse and parking lot
- - Demolition of the existing maintenance building and the construction of a maintenance building at a new location
Engaging with the public is a critical part of our planning process. Your feedback will be used to refine project designs and to support the analysis of environmental impacts. Anyone interested in learning more about the project and providing input can participate in the following ways:
Virtual Scoping Meeting: The NPS and NLT will be hosting a public scoping meeting using the Zoom virtual meeting platform on Thursday, January 26, 2023 from 6:30 PM Eastern Standard Time (EST) to 8:00 PM EST. The meeting will last approximately 90 minutes and there will be an opportunity to submit questions. Click on the "Meeting Notices" link on the left-hand side of this page for more information about the meeting.
The meeting will be recorded and will be posted online on this project site for you to review at your convenience if you are not able to attend the live session.
Formal comments can be submitted online on this web site. If you would like to comment, please do the following:
1. Click on the link on the left-hand side of this page that says, "Open for Comment."
2. Another web page will open. Under "Select a document to review and comment", click on the link that says, "Rock Creek Park Golf Course, Public Meeting Presentation."
3. Another web page will open. The document to review is the presentation for the upcoming January 26 public meeting. You can access this document by clicking on the link under "Document Content" that says, "Rock Creek Park Golf Course Public Scoping Meeting Presentation 508 Compliant January 7 2023.pdf".
4. Once you have reviewed the document and are ready to comment, click on the box that says, "Comment Now". This will open a form that will allow you to submit comments electronically to the National Park Service.
Comments must be submitted between 12:01 AM Eastern Standard Time (EST) January 9, 2023 and 11:59 PM EST February 8, 2023. If you prefer to mail your comments, make sure they are postmarked by 11:59 PM EST February 8, 2023 to receive consideration. Mail comments to the following address:
Rock Creek Park
RE: Golf Course Rehab
3545 Williamsburg Lane NW
Washington, DC 20008
Additional opportunities for public input will be available as the project continues.
For more information about this project and the January 26, 2023 meeting, contact Rock Creek Park Resources Manager Nick Bartolomeo at 202-895-6010, or by email at email@example.com.
The National Park Service (NPS), in coordination with National Links Trust (NLT), is undertaking a plan and environmental assessment to improve the Rock Creek Park Golf Course. NLT is a nonprofit that has a 50-year lease to manage the golf course. The rehabilitation is part of their long-term management of the Rock Creek Park Golf Course.