Installation of McGowan's South Carolina Brigade Monument at Spotsylvania Court House Battlefield
Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park was authorized by an act of Congress on February 14, 1927 (44 Stat. 1091). The purpose of the park, as stated in the act, is "to commemorate the Civil War battles of Fredericksburg, Spotsylvania Court House, Wilderness, and Chancellorsville, including Salem Church … and to mark and preserve for historical purposes the breastworks, earthworks, gun emplacements, walls, or other defenses or shelters used by the armies on the said battles … and together also with such additional land as the Secretary of War may deem necessary for monuments, markers, tablets, roads, highways, paths, approaches, and to carry out the general purposes of this Act." The legislation further states that the park shall "ascertain and mark with historical monuments … or otherwise … lines of battle, location of troops … and other historical points of interest …"
The park proposes to allow the State of South Carolina and a private historical group to sponsor and install a granite monument to Brigadier General Samuel McGowan's Brigade of South Carolinians. The proposed location for the monument is in the rear of the Confederate entrenchments known as the "Bloody Angle" on the Spotsylvania Court House Battlefield.
Under the guidelines of Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act, FRSP is soliticing public comments on this project. Written comments, either through this website or via postal letter, will be accepted only during the 30 day public review period.
08/27/2008 - 09/27/2008