Muir Woods Transportation and Access Site Improvements
*PLEASE NOTE*: This project is one of two projects being proposed to improve overall visitor access at Muir Woods. This project focuses only on potential Transportation and Access Site Improvements. The other project is focused on a newly proposed parking management strategy, utilizing existing parking facilities. Please see http://parkplanning.nps.gov/muwo_parking to read more and to submit comments.
TO SUBMIT COMMENTS ON THIS WEBSITE:
- Click the "Document List" link on the left
- Click on "Scoping Announcement"
- Then click "Comment on Document"
This project would include physical changes to the entrance areas at Muir Woods and nearby Mount Tamalpais State Park such as replacement of facilities, improvement to trails and pedestrian paths, and limited new construction of parking areas and other facilities mostly in previously disturbed areas.
Actions could include the following:
• A new parking lot on Panoramic Highway that would be served by the park shuttle
• Minor expansion and/or reorganization of existing parking lots at Muir Woods to improve vehicle and pedestrian circulation
• Conversion of existing operational areas at Muir Woods for parking and other uses
• Extension of the Redwood Creek Trail from Deer Park Fire Road to the monument entrance, including boardwalk sections
• Completion of plaza improvements begun in 2010, including additional re-vegetation and a new restroom
• Improved Dipsea Trail route
• Changes in the management and use of Muir Woods Road
Public Scoping was initiated on Wednesday, September 4 and the first public meeting for this project was held on September 18, 2013. A second informational meeting was originally scheduled for Wednesday, November 20, however, due to the extension of the federal government shutdown and the subsequent extension of the due date for comments this meeting has been cancelled and will be rescheduled for sometime in early 2014.
You can submit comments in the following ways:
- On this website; click the Document List link on the left; click on Scoping Announcement; then click Comment on Document
- Or by mail to:
Golden Gate National Recreation Area
Attn: Muir Woods Transportation Projects
Building 201, Fort Mason
San Francisco, CA 94123
COMMENTS ARE DUE BY JANUARY 11, 2014.