National Park Service
PEPC Planning, Environment & Public Comment
PEPC Home Documents by Park Policy/Links Park Planning Search Documents
  • (non-NPS links)

Visitor Use Plan/ EA for Casey Addition to Wind Cave National Park

Wind Cave National Park » Visitor Use Plan/ EA for Casey Addition to Wind Cave National Park » Document List

You Are Now Leaving

parkplanning.nps.gov

National Park Service

Please note: The National Park Service does not control and cannot guarantee the relevance, timeliness or accuracy of the materials provided by other agencies or organizations, nor does the NPS endorse other agencies or organizations, thier views, products or services.

In September 2011, Wind Cave National Park acquired a 5,556-acre ranch, called the Casey Addition, and is now determining the optimal way of providing public access to this land. A Visitor Use Plan and Environmental Assessment (EA) is needed to determine the best ways for the public to access and enjoy the unique historic and natural resources present on the Casey Addition while providing a minimal level of services. Concurrently, a comprehensive Management Zone Plan is occurring to fully incorporate management of the Casey Addition into the park.

Wind Cave National Park is located in the Black Hills of southwestern South Dakota, in Custer County. During 2000, park managers were contacted by an adjacent landowner desiring to sell the historic 5,556-acre Sanson/Casey ranch to the park. Over the next several years, park staff worked to acquire the ranch and formally add it to the park. On September 21, 2005, Congress passed Senate Bill 2788 (119 Stat. 2011) (P.L. 109-71), which allowed for the expansion of Wind Cave National Park to include the 5,556-acre ranch, known as the Casey Addition. The Casey Addition land was purchased using funds from the Land and Water Conservation Fund. On September 22, 2011, the Casey Addition officially became part of Wind Cave National Park, and a dedication ceremony was held on October 15, 2011.

The Casey Addition is located adjacent to the southeast portion of the park and contains the 1918 Sanson homestead, a modern ranch, and an archeological site that has characteristics similar to other known prehistoric buffalo jumps, which are areas where American Indians would drive buffalo over the cliff as a hunting method over a thousand years ago. At the present time, the Park Superintendent has closed the Casey Addition land for visitor and employee safety until a Visitor Use Plan and EA is completed and approved.

The purpose of the Visitor Use Plan and EA is to determine the best way for visitors to use and access the key resources on the Casey Addition, as well as determine what type of visitor activities should take place along the access route to and/or at the key resources, and allow the public to participate in providing input into these decisions.

To read and comment on the plan, click on the "Open for Comment Link" to the left.

Contact Information
Tom Farrell, 605-745-1130