GGNRA Dog Management Plan
Golden Gate National Recreation Area (GGNRA) is conducting a planning process to determine the manner and extent of dog walking in appropriate areas of the park. The overall goal of the plan is to develop a clear, enforceable policy that:
• provides a variety of visitor experiences, including areas where dog walking is allowed;
• improves visitor and employee safety;
• reduces user conflicts;
• provides a variety of visitor experiences and
• promotes the preservation and protection of natural and cultural resources and natural processes.
A draft Dog Management Plan/Environmental Impact Statement (draft Plan/DEIS) was released for public comment in January 2011; approximately 4,700 responses were received. Those responses contained approximately 8,000 substantive comments.
DRAFT PLAN/SUPPLEMENTAL ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT STATEMENT
A draft Plan/Supplemental EIS (draft Plan/SEIS) was released for public review and comment in September 2013; this document is a second draft of the EIS that responds to the substantive comments on the draft Plan/DEIS and includes analysis of dog management for the newest area of the park, Rancho Corral de Tierra. Because of the amount of new information and analysis that has been added, the entire document has been reissued. A Readers Guide is included to help direct readers to the substantive changes to the initial draft plan/DEIS.
To download the draft Plan/SEIS, click Document List link on the left side of this page and then click on the title of the document.
For additional, general information about the draft plan/SEIS and the overall GGNRA dog management project, please see the park's web site: www.nps.gov/seis
ANTICIPATED PROJECT SCHEDULE
- September 6, 2013 - January 11, 2014: Draft Plan/Supplemental EIS open for public comment
- Fall 2014: Notice of Proposed Rulemaking released for public comment
- Summer 2015: Final EIS published
- Winter 2015: Final Rule published
Dog Management Project Information Line, 415-561-4728, leave a message. and park staff will respond.