June 2012 Update Newsletter - New Alternative Concepts
George Washington Memorial Parkway (GWMP) is requesting your input on new alternative concepts for the Fort Hunt Park Site Development Plan Environmental Assessment/Assessment of Effect (EA/AoE). Please download and review the update newsletter (available below) to learn about new alternative concepts and inform your input to help develop the EA/AoE.
The PUBLIC COMMENT PERIOD will be open from June 13th through July 28th, 2012.
Please note the following key revisions based on public comments received on the previous version of EA/AoE released in 2011 (available at http://parkplanning.nps.gov/forthuntEAAoE):
• Minimizes removal of picnic pavilions and other changes to existing recreational use.
• Maintains loop road configuration.
• Designates "Historic Land Use Restoration Areas" communicating need for removal of facilities and changes to circulation.
• Denotes proposed zones for siting of visitor contact station to illustrate that potential building footprint will be subject to further resource studies, planning and design processes. Additional options for enhanced visitor contact in the proposed zones will be fleshed out in the EA/AoE*.
• Considers additional options, including connector trail at Area E to maintain circulation loop for cyclists and pedestrians and restoration of sight line from Battery Robinson or Battery Sater to the river.
*Additional options for enhanced visitor contact in the proposed zones could range from construction of a visitor facility to simply the addition of outdoor interpretive displays. Consideration will be made to possibly repurpose existing pavilions in Area B and C to house interpretive displays. Public input on these options will help determine which will be considered in the EA/AoE.
Project Contact: Thomas Sheffer, Park Planner, email@example.com, 703-289-2500
Comment Period: 06/13/2012 - 07/28/2012